Best Summer Skin Care Tips for Tweens
Pimples, breakouts, dry, flaky skin – the complaints are endless when it comes to your teen and tween’s skin. And when summer hits, the heat and sun damage can make things even worse. Helping your tweens and teens develop a healthy summer skin care routine is vital to maintaining a soft, glowing, youthful and acne-free appearance.Teen Body AcnePimples can pop up virtually anywhere. And when puberty hits, the pimple party continues, especially on the chest, back and neck or jawline. And those...
Pimples, breakouts, dry, flaky skin – the complaints are endless when it comes to your teen and tween’s skin. And when summer hits, the heat and sun damage can make things even worse. Helping your tweens and teens develop a healthy summer skin care routine is vital to maintaining a soft, glowing, youthful and acne-free appearance.
Teen Body Acne
Pimples can pop up virtually anywhere. And when puberty hits, the pimple party continues, especially on the chest, back and neck or jawline. And those spots aren’t the only areas teen body acne can show up – shoulders, upper arms, and even butt are all fair game. Living in a hot, humid climate doesn’t help and can actually make teen body acne worse.
Teen body acne is developed in the same way as facial acne; an overproduction of oil, excess dead skin cells, and acne-causing bacteria. Blocked pores become inflamed when bacteria causes an infection. Tight clothing, backpacks, heat and excess sweat irritate the inflamed pimples causing irritation, making acne worse. To minimize irritation, shower immediately after exercise and avoid tight-fitting clothing and gear. Choose a gentle cleanser over harsh scrubbing.
Teen Chest Acne
Like body acne, chest acne develops in the same way as facial acne. However, it’s important to note that chest acne is not caused by poor hygiene or dirty skin. In fact, teen chest acne is actually related to using skin care products that block water loss, excess sweating, friction from clothing, and can be made worse by harsh chemical cleansers and excessive scrubbing. Avoiding rough or coarse body scrubs and using creams that don’t clog pores will help reduce the development of chest acne.
Tips for Teen Summer Skincare:
1. Learn your skin type – being in the know will help you choose the right products for your skin.
2. Avoid using too many products at once. This could irritate the skin and be the cause of some serious breakouts.
3. Shower immediate after exercise to wash away sweat, dead skin cells and bacteria that could clog pores and cause body acne.
4. Use gentle cleansers and water-based moisturizers that don’t clog pores or irritate the skin.
5. Use sunscreen every day. No matter what.
6. Avoid breaking pimples with your hands or fingers. Doing so could worsen the acne situation.
7. Drink plenty of water and focus on quality foods, fresh fruits and vegetables.
8. Learn ways to reduce stress and take part daily.
9. Get at least 8 hours of sleep per night.
10. If your acne problem persists, consult a dermatologist.
Tips to Good Loofah Care
1. Rinse your loofah after each use. Shake it out and hang it to dry in a cool place – preferably not the shower.
2. Clean it at least once per week by soaking it in a bleach solution for 5 minutes, then rinse thoroughly. Or put it in your dishwasher.
3. Replace your loofah regularly. Natural loofahs last only 3-4 weeks, while plastic ones can last up to 2 months. If you notice your loofah growing mold or developing a musty smell, it’s time to toss it, and get a new one.
How to Choose Gentle Teen Body Products
Whether your teens and tweens have acne or not, it’s important to incorporate a gentle body cleanser into their daily hygiene routine. Doing so will help prevent breakouts and calm irritated skin. Teach your child at the earliest signs of oily skin or breakouts how to wash their skin with soap or a cleanser – and aim to have them shower at night to wash off the sweat, dead skin cells and bacteria that may have accumulated throughout the day.
Look for cleansers and topical creams that contain gentle ingredients including lemon, cucumber, cedar bark, sage, murumuru butter, charcoal, arrowroot powder, coconut oil, and witch hazel. Lemon juice is a natural antioxidant and contains vitamin C that helps reduce inflammation and decrease oil on the skin. Cucumbers are mildly astringent – that means they help clean the skin and tighten pores. This could reduce breakouts. Cedar bark can help alleviate breakouts due to its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. Sage helps control excess oil production and reduces acne. Murumuru butter helps retain moisture of the skin while keeping skin germ-free. Charcoal absorbs oil and other debris; arrowroot powder also absorbs oil, but softens skin and heals blemishes; coconut oil hydrates, smooth’s and protects the skin; and finally, witch hazel cleanses skin, reduces pores, and sooths skin while relieving inflammation.
Choosing a daily body cleanser and moisturizer for your teens and tweens doesn’t have to be difficult. Start with TBH Kids Body Wash, Lotion and Deodorant that contain no harsh chemicals, and are free of parabens and sulfates. They’re all fragrance-free and chock-full of good-for-you ingredients. Shop today!